David

I heard my first rhyme of Nantucket
From a sage who retired, just chucked it.
He answered the call,
Vacated West Hall,
Content that LL&C had stuck it.

____________________________________________________

My first memorable encounter with Michael was our engaging in a drunken limerick recital. He grandly orated the classic “Nantucket” piece, while I timidly muttered a “There was an old whore of Silesia” gem. His won for elocution, but mine was more vulgar, which I assumed was the point of the exchange. Of course, that’s my standard for judging any drunken dialog.

When I first approached Michael about directing my dissertation, he was reluctant to do so because (HE SAID) he was booked up. Seeking to ingratiate myself, I gave his son bass guitar lessons. Mike relented and chaired my committee, saving me from having to work with a professor who detested me (and most everyone else) and had not to my knowledge directed a graduate committee during his entire tenure. I therefore attribute my doctorate to the bass guitar, an instrument on which few accolades have been previously bestowed.

Much obliged Michael.

There’s a bottle of Jameson’s on the shelf if your travels bring you to the heart of darkness.

Doug Washburn and Annette Bradford at Tanglewood:

David and Bonnie on “Blythe Spirit,” Saratoga Lake, Summer 1980:

Bonnie Stalnaker, Sharon Jager, Doug Washburn, Jean Lutz behind Emma Willard, Thanksgiving, 1980:

Michael, bicycling in Vermont, Summer 1981:

Annette at the Saratoga flat track, August, 1983:

1 Comment

I love the photos David. Especially the ones with Doug Washburn in them. Oh, and where would I have to go to access that bottle of Jameson’s?